Company also highlights latest wound closure, vascular therapy and respiratory products
WASHINGTON, Oct 04, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Covidien (NYSE: COV), a leading global provider of healthcare products, will preview new devices and showcase some of the Company's most innovative products at the 96th Annual Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons.
"Covidien is dedicated to providing our surgeon customers with new evidence-based tools. We are helping them tackle the ongoing challenges of today's operating room, from logistics and time management to safety and ease of use," said Joe Almeida, President, Medical Devices, Covidien. "At the ACS Clinical Congress, we will be showcasing a portfolio of ergonomically superior instruments designed to optimize surgeon performance and improve patient outcomes."
On the convention floor, Covidien will provide conference attendees access to the SILS(TM) Procedure Mobile Tour, an innovative teaching lab housed within a modified tractor trailer. To respond to an increasingly cost-sensitive healthcare environment, Covidien created the SILS Mobile Tour to bring in-servicing programs on the latest single-incision surgical techniques and instruments right to its customers' institutions.
Covidien will demonstrate its newest products and innovations at exhibition booths #1631, #1961 and #2057. Highlighted products include:
- SILS(TM) Hand Instruments -- Covidien's latest advancements in endoscopic tissue manipulation increase the surgeon's flexibility and scope of view when performing complex laparoscopic procedures such as the SILS procedure which allows for multiple instrument access through a single incision. Coming to market soon, these instruments include the SILS Clinch, SILS Hook, SILS Shears and SILS Dissector.
- SILS(TM) Port 15mm Multiple Instrument Access Port -- A new addition to the SILS Port product line, this product accommodates surgical instruments up to 15mm with improved smoke evacuation that improves visibility and optimizes working space during the procedure.
- iDrive(TM) Right Angle Linear Cutter - Covidien will offer a preview of its iDrive powered handle and Right Angle Linear Cutter (RALC). This innovative, reusable stapling platform offers microprocessor-controlled precision and push-button control. The RALC was also specially designed to give surgeons deeper access to, and better visibility in, the pelvis1 for low anterior resection procedures. (510(k) pending. Not for Sale.)
- Black Endo GIA(TM) Reload with Tri-Staple(TM) Technology - Covidien's unique black reloads enable surgeons to confidently and consistently staple in extra-thick tissue applications previously beyond the indications of any stapler used for minimally invasive surgery.
- Curved Tip Reload - Covidien's unique curved tip reload (with an optional flexible introducer) provides surgeons with enhanced direct visualization, smooth access to the surgical site, and the ability to dissect and manipulate tissue and vessels in challenging stapling applications.
- V-Loc(TM) Absorbable Wound Closure Devices - Covidien V-Loc Absorbable Wound Closure devices close wounds up to 50% faster than conventional sutures of comparable holding strength2 because they don't require knots. The V-Loc device is available in two absorption profiles: the longer term absorbing V-Loc 180 device based on the 180-day Maxon(TM) monofilament suture, and the faster absorbing V-Loc 90 device based on the 90-day Biosyn(TM) monofilament suture.
Hernia Repair & Mesh
- Parietex ProGrip(TM) Self Fixating Mesh- Advanced microgrip technology provides immediate fixation3 of the entire mesh surface for a secure hernia repair and even distribution of tension for greater patient comfort. Designed for ease of use, the resorbable polylactic acid (PLA) microgrips enable surgeons to position and place the mesh in under 60 seconds4 without the use of additional fixation5.
- Parietex(TM) Composite (PCO) Mesh - The first mesh with a resorbable collagen barrier on one side to limit visceral attachments and a 3-D polyester knit structure on the other side to promote tissue ingrowth and ease of use. More than ten years of documented clinical effectiveness backs Parietex PCO mesh as the procedural standard that others strive to reach.
- Permacol(TM) Biologic Implant - A porcine dermal collagen implant from which cells, cell debris, DNA and RNA are removed in a gentle process that is not damaging to the 3-D collagen matrix. The resulting acellular collagen matrix is then cross-linked for enhanced durability in complex repairs. The cross-linking of Permacol biologic implant offers advantages over many other biologics for hernia and abdominal wall repair.
- AbsorbaTack(TM) Fixation Device - A sterile, single-use device for fixation of prosthetic material, such as hernia mesh, to soft tissue. The AbsorbaTack device is offered in a long version for laparoscopic techniques in both 10- and 20-tack configurations, as well as a short version for open hernia repair in a 20 tack configuration.
Ligation and Dissection Instruments
- LigaSure Advance(TM) Pistol Grip (5 mm-44 cm) - A multifunctional, laparoscopic vessel sealing instrument designed to replace commonly used combinations of ligation and dissection instruments. The new pistol grip device is part of the LigaSure Advance line of instruments, which features a monopolar dissection tip on LigaSure(TM) vessel sealing jaws.
- New LigaSure Precise(TM) Instrument- Coming soon, the New LigaSure Precise Instrument provides proven LigaSure technology with a small, curved jaw and an integrated cutting mechanism, independent of sealing, leaving the critical cutting decisions in the hands of the surgeon. It is designed for open procedures and works exclusively with the ForceTriad(TM) energy platform.
- Mallinckrodt(TM) TaperGuard Endotracheal Tube - Postoperative pulmonary complications are common, costly, and are associated with significant mortality.6,7 Evidence strongly indicates that microaspiration is an important contributor to the incidence and severity of postoperative pulmonary complications. The Mallinckrodt TaperGuard endotracheal tube can significantly reduce microaspiration by an average of 90%, compared to Mallinckrodt Hi-Lo endotracheal tubes.8 By reducing the risk of perioperative microaspiration caused by inadequately sealing cuffs, the Mallinckrodt TaperGuard tube may reduce the risk of postoperative pulmonary complications associated with microaspiration.9,10,11
- A-V Impulse(TM) Foot Compression System - The system provides clinically-proven impulse foot compression by mimicking the natural hemodynamic process of ambulation. A-V Impulse foot compression is the only foot compression method clinically proven to reduce the incidence of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) in high-risk patient populations.12 It is also clinically proven to reduce post-traumatic/surgical pain and swelling,13,14 enhance arterial blood flow,15 and increase operative limb range of motion.16
- Kendall SCD(TM) Express Compression System - An all-in-one, portable compression device that provides the option for both leg and foot compression. The Kendall SCD Compression system is the only compression device with Vascular Refill Detection technology, allowing the compression system to customize compression cycles to each patient. Kendall SCD leg compression has been clinically proven to significantly reduce the incidence of DVT and PE in high risk surgical and medical patient populations.
- T.E.D.(TM) Anti-Embolism Stockings - T.E.D. anti-embolism stockings are the only graduated compression stockings clinically proven to significantly reduce the incidence of DVT and PE as a sole modality or background of another prophylaxis method.17
- VNUS Closure(TM) System - The VNUS Closure System combines a proprietary radiofrequency (RF) generator with a family of disposable catheters to shut diseased veins using temperature-controlled RF energy. Physicians can treat incompetent saphenous, perforator and tributary vessels and improve patient symptoms with minimal pain and bruising.
Covidien is a leading global healthcare products company that creates innovative medical solutions for better patient outcomes and delivers value through clinical leadership and excellence. Covidien manufactures, distributes and services a diverse range of industry-leading product lines in three segments: Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Supplies. With 2009 revenue of $10.3 billion, Covidien has 42,000 employees worldwide in more than 60 countries, and its products are sold in over 140 countries. Please visit www.covidien.com to learn more about our business.
1 When compared to EES Contour®, iDrive & RALC could be placed deeper and provide better visibility in male cadavers; data on file.
2 Compared to standard suture methods. Covidien V-Loc 180 Absorbable Wound Closure Device Time Study, Robert T. Grant, MD, FACS New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Argent Global Services. Utilization of a Porcine Model to Demonstrate the Efficacy of an Absorbable Barbed Suture for Dermal Closure, UTSW, S. Brown. Data on file.
3 Additional fixation at surgeon's discretion.
4 Philippe Chastan, MD (2006). "Tension-Free Open Inguinal Hernia Repair Using an Innovative Self-Gripping Semi-Resorbable Mesh." Journal of Minimal Access Surgery; pp 139-43.
5 Additional fixation at surgeon's discretion.
6 Jencks et al. New England Journal ofMedicine, 2009; 360(14):1418-28.
7 Lawrence et al. Medical complications and outcomes after hip fracture repair. Arch Intern Med, 2002
8 TaperGuard Evac tube 510(k) clearance letter.
9 Hastrup F, Levy B. Acid aspiration: inflammation and resolution. RT for Decision Makers in Respiratory Care, 2006.
10 Rawlinson E. Pulmonary aspiration. Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, 2007; 8(9): 365-367.
11 Kluger MT, et al. Crisis management during anesthesia: Regurgitation, vomiting and aspiration. Qual Saf Health Care, 2005;14: 1-5.
12 Sugano, et al. Clinical Efficacy of Mechanical Thromboprophylaxis without Anticoagulatn Druge for Elective Hip Surgery in Asian Patient Populations. The Journal Of Arthroplasty, 2009.
13 Erdmann, et al. OS Calcis Fractures: A Randomized Trial Comparing Conservative Treatment with Impulse Compression of the Foot. British Journal of Accident Surgery, 1992.
14 Pitto, et al. Mechanical Prophylaixs of Deep Vein Thrombosis after Total Hip Replacement. THE JOURNAL OF BONE & JOINT SURGERY, 2004.
15 Gardner & Fox, et al. Reduction of Post-Traumatic Swelling and Compartment Pressure by Impusel Compression of the Foot. THE JOURNAL OF BONE & JOINT SURGERY, 1990.
16 Windisch, et al. Pneumatic Compression with Foot Pumps Facilitates Early Postoperative Mobilisation in Total Knee Arthroplasty. International orthopaedics, 2010.
17 Ramos, et al. The Efficacy of Pneumatic Compression Stockings in the Prevention of Pulmonary Embolism After Cardiac Surgery. Chest, 1996.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6452689&lang=en
David T. Young, 203-654-6261
Public Relations Manager
Bruce Farmer, 508-452-4372
Coleman Lannum, CFA, 508-452-4343
Brian Nameth, 508-452-4363